Monday, December 4, 2006

Cut Chemist: Audience's Listening


Cut Chemist, the California based MC, released this well-crafted album in early July. I have listened to this album over and over again since I picked it up soon after it was released and like any good artistic creation, each time I discover another level to the music. I would not classify myself as a big DJ / MC / electronica enthusiast, and I am not even familiar enough with how these guys scratch and spin records to know whether or not Cut Chemist is a top quality scratcher, but there are some songs that really blow me away. The track "(My 1st) Big Break" is a good example of how fast this guy can scratch without making it sound like a mess. If you are a fan of this kind of skill you have to listen, and even if you aren't it is worth a listen (and I almost guarantee that you will press repeat).

The album has got some great sampling work, "The Garden" pumps up an already smooth sounding Astrud Gilberto song, "Berimbau" and in my opinion, anything with her velvety voice in it is a winner. Another track, "What's the Altitude" features the rapper Hymnal, is probably the most conventional song on the record, by which I mean you can at least sing along with a chorus--unlike most of the other songs.

If I owned a chic cafe I would definitely play this album in the background as it exudes that kind of groove. But that is not to say that it is a totally chill album, because most of the tracks are danceable and have certainly hit the club scene by now; but for those who avoid electronica because they consider it to be too in your face or hard to listen to I would recommend picking this album up. Yes, there is a lot of scratching, but there is also a lot of melodious material that most of us can enjoy.

No comments: